From all of us at the Jurgielewicz family farm: happy new year! We hope 2018 was filled with health and happiness, and that 2019 will be even better. Here is a whole duck recipe, sure to be a crowd pleaser at your holiday party, New Year’s Eve dinner, or just because! This one comes with a side of roasted cabbage – the perfect New Year side dish.
Whole Roasted Duck
- 1 Jurgielewicz Whole Duck (about 6 lbs)
- Salt & ground pepper
- Large fresh sage sprigs (2)
- Medium onion, peeled & quartered (1)
- All purpose flour
- Unsalted butter 4 tbsp.
- Ground Mace ¼ tsp.
- Mushroom ketchup 2 tbsp. (or substitute ½ tsp vinegar)
- Fresh lemon juice 1 tbsp.
- Browned flour 2-4 tbsp. (may substitute all-purpose flour)
Cooking Instructions for Roasted Duck
- Preheat oven to 475 ° F. Set rack in medium roasting pan
- Remove gizzards (giblets) and cover with water in saucepan
- Season Duck with Salt & pepper
- Tuck sage sprigs and onion into duck cavity
- Sprinkle with flour and brush all over with melted butter
- Place duck in roasting pan, place in over and reduce temp to 350° F.
- Roast duck for 1 ½ hours pricking skin every 20 minutes to drain fat
- Remove when temp in Duck thigh reads 180° F
- Transfer duck to serving platter and cover with foil
Instructions for Preparing Giblet Broth
- Bring gizzards to boil in saucepan; cover and simmer 20 minutes
- Remove and discard gizzards and return broth to heat
- Stir in mace, ketchup or vinegar, lemon juice and ¼ tsp pepper
- Simmer on very low heat until flavors are blended
- Skim fat from duck roast juices and combine with giblet broth
- Whisk in Browned flour until broth thickened to gravy
- Pour giblet sauce gravy around duck and serve
Ingredients for Roasted Cabbage
- 1 large fresh cabbage (white, red, purple, or green)
- Garlic powder
- Red pepper flakes
Cooking Instructions for Roasted Cabbage
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Brush both sides of each cabbage wedge with olive oil. Sprinkle garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper over each wedge. Arrange wedges on a baking sheet.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 15 minutes; flip cabbage and continue roasting until browned and charred in some areas, about 15 minutes more. Squeeze lemon over each wedge.
- Optional: Sprinkle with shredded cheese of your choice